Please Note

*Attention* I try to avoid revealing any spoilers, but since this is a review site after all, there will be times when I write about events that happen in the drama. Even so, I will try my best to avoid revealing any big plot twists!

Monday, March 12, 2012

49일 (a.k.a. 49 Days) Final Review: Episodes 17-20

~~ Note: I know this final review is coming out months after 49 Days ended, but it’s definitely not easy keeping up with real life and the drama world. It never occurred to me so drastically that the drama world never slows down or stops.... It’s nearly impossible to catch up once you’re behind!! So I will make it a priority goal to keep up with these reviews! Thanks for reading!!~~

First off, I’d like to say the ending was unexpected, that’s for sure, but it wasn’t unpleasant. I’m rather satisfied with the way it ended, but it wasn’t particularly terrible or terrific.

I applaud Jung Ilwoo tremendously for such an a-ma-zing performance!!!! Those scenes with Yikyung were truly heartbreaking!! I really loved how they were written. Everything the couple did was so full of love for each other. I loved the things Yisoo did for Yikyung... That’s probably what made the farewell so much harder to watch. And his goodbye speech to her was so well written!!! I don’t know which is sadder, the farewell scene or Yisoo’s accident scene...


In the end, I was pretty happy with the acting from the entire cast. Nam Gyuri did improve her acting. Of course it could just be because the character became more complex, but still, she wasn’t totally hopeless. She was a bit wooden at times, and her reactions felt kind of forced, but still, I’ve seen worse. (By the way, don’t you think Nam Gyuri and IU look alike?). Lee Yowon’s acting was very consistent to the end. I really enjoyed the interaction between Yikyung and Jihyun, it was so cute and heartwarming to see them so happy together. I know I’ve said this before, but I was extremely impressed with Lee Yowon’s acting!! Her emotions weren’t so forced and she played the two different personalities so well. The male leads are very talented and played their characters with skill and experience. All the minor characters were so cute and lovable and they were all cast so perfectly! I think this was a good choice for Jo Hyunjae’s come back to the drama world after his military service. It had a good cast and a pretty good following of fans from what I can tell. It would be pretty fun to see him play a villain role though. 

Even though I really enjoyed the soundtrack, I’d have to say it does not make my list of top 10 soundtracks. None of the songs really stand out and get stuck in your head, but I love that they got some of the cast to sing the songs!! 

The special effects used were pretty fun and creative. They did not seem too out of place or super obviously CG, which I was pretty happy about. I especially liked the Scheduler’s appearing and vanishing acts!! Of course that’s editing more than special effects, but still, well done and fun nonetheless.

The storyline is very unique and one of a kind in the Korean drama world, from what I can tell. It’s got some similarities to Secret Garden, but overall, very different. I loved the story and writing for 49 Days until the last episode... Story twists are much more shocking when they’re planted early and pondered over for more than five minutes.

*****Spoiler Alert!!*****
I was rather shocked that they would kill Jihyun in the end. It was such a twist, the way the events played out. If Jihyun did die, I only thought she would not gain all three tears. It never occurred to me that they would bring her back only for her to die. I’m not all that upset that Jihyun died, actually. I thought it was a very balanced ending. It’s kind of a "life goes on after losing someone" kind of story.



The one thing I disliked about the ending was how they tied in the sister relationship between Yikyung and Jihyun. It was just so rushed and poorly planned. I heard some speculations about Yikyung finding out one of the lead characters was her younger sibling (I don’t think they ever specified the gender), but my impression was that those ideas were purely fan based speculations. Of course, I should have remembered that more likely than not, when something is mentioned in a drama, there’s a good reason for it. But just the way they played out that story was just so rushed. If they had introduced something about it even a couple episodes earlier, that would have tied in a lot better in my opinion. And I always wondered if Jihyun ever found out that Yikyung was her sister and that’s why one of the three tears was not hers. Thinking from Jihyun’s perspective, it would hurt to think Yikyung didn’t cry genuine tears for her. I mean, they got really close towards the end. Of course, Jihyun could have just assumed that Seowoo and Injung cried for her first. But anyways, it definitely answers the question as to why Yikyung was shown crying at least three times for Jihyun, but the tears were never counted. 




The ending had gaping flaws but I was still quite content with it. Most things did fit together well. Even though the end wasn’t the ideal outcome, it was more realistic than a lot of other dramas in a sense. It was definitely not your typical romantic comedy. The conclusion was very open-ended in that Yikyung doesn’t start dating Kang, but they don’t say to leave that possibility out. Since they have each other and they got their closure with their significant other, it is definitely possible for them to heal and move on and fall in love again, possibly with each other. I really do love that Yikyung is no longer alone and has a family and friends who genuinely love her, but again, could have been played out better. And as for Jihyun and Yisoo, they don’t have any regrets, so they got their closure too. Pretty satisfying, if you ask me.



Thanks so much for reading my 49 Days reviews! I would love comments and feedback! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this drama, or your thoughts on my thoughts! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment